High Court > Brief History    

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

 

Supreme Court
of India

view..

High Court
of Madras

Principal Bench

  view..

High Court
of Madras

Madurai Bench

  view..

Photo Gallery

  view..

Interested in Knowing More about the publications of CTC Group of Journals? Kindly fill up the visitors form and we shall soon get back to you. Click on the image below and fill up the form.

Mail Us

Brief History of High Court 

The High Court was originally located in the buildings just opposite to the Madras Harbour on the first line beach. In 1892 the Present High Court Buildings were completed and on Tuesday, the 12th July 1892 the High Court and the Court of Small Causes moved into the new buildings. The buildings took 4 years to construct and finish. The original estimate of the cost was Rs.9,45,000/- and the final cost was Rs.12,98,163. The building is the Indo Saracenic style. The building was formally opened by his Excellency the Right Hon’ble Beilly Baron Wenlock, Governor of Madras. The Chief Justice of Madras Sir Arthur Colling after receiving the Key of the new buildings addressed His Excellency the Governor of Madras voicing the acceptance and promising for himself and his brother judges to do their duty in fear of God and without fear of men. The Madras High Court building was acknowledged in all aspects, as the finest High Court building in the whole of India. The Compound of the present High Court housed a light house which was being used to warn and guide the ships.

A mild flutter was created on 22nd September, 1915 when a German Warship sent a number of explosive shells into Madras City aiming obviously at strategic places. Some shells were aimed at the High Court Buildings that is to say at the light house on the Central dome, some of the shells struck the cornice around the flooring of the light. The broad caddapah slabs were shattered and Madras was full of excitement till the Warship Emton was reported to have left the Bay under pursuit of British Warships. Ironically speaking, the distinction of having been under the Germanian fire in the world war could be claimed only by our Madras High Court in the whole of India.

During the second world war, Madras itself was attacked by a squad of bombing aeroplanes on 6th April 1942 early morning. A mass evacuation started from the city. The High Court was closed in advance of its usual date of clousure and all the records and valuable papers were rushed to Coimbatore and Anantapur faraway from the possibility of attack. The vacation courts were held in Coimbatore in the building of the Forest College. Finally in or about the month of July the High Court started function after vacation but not in the present building. The High Court Appellate and criminal sides and all their offices were located at Thiagaraya Nagar in the Convent of Holy Angels Anglo Indian School in Mambalam. A seperate bungalow on the opposite side of the road was engaged to house the original side and two courts and officers. It took nearly more than a year for all the records to be brought back to their old places in the High Court buildings and start functioning.

Dr. Pakala Venkata Rajamannar was the first Indian to be appointed as Chief Justice of the High Court at Madras in the year 1948. He succeeded Sir Fredrick William Gentle. Dr. Rajamannar functioned as Chief Justice from 1948 to 1961. For some brief periods during 1957, 1958 and 1961, Dr.Rajamannar officiated as Governor of Madras. During those short periods, Mr. Pundi Rajagopalan offciated as Chief Justice of High Court.

Sir T.Muthuswami Ayyar was the first Indian to be appointed as a Judge of the Madras High Court. It is of interest to note that the very first case reported in the Madras High Court Reports Vol.1 was argued by a great personality John D.Mayne, whose book on Hindu Law is still an authentic authority on the subject.

Madras High Court's Sesquicentennial Celeberations were held in the Year 2013..

Home | Downloads | Newsroom | Current Issues | Sitemap | Contact Us

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

©2009 CTC Group of Publications All rights reserved. Hosted & Designed by RAR Web Solutions